Quality Legal Counsel Since 1929

What forms of compensation can you get after a New Jersey crash?

On Behalf of | Aug 17, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

When a Montvale, New Jersey, motor vehicle accident leaves you with significant injuries, you probably feel grateful to be alive. Often, this sense of gratitude feels euphoric because victims essentially escaped death.

We caution you not to let your gratitude get in the way of more practical matters, such as resolving any financial hardships that accompanied your crash. In today’s post, we will discuss the types of compensation available to you in the aftermath of your motor vehicle accident.

Jersey is a no-fault state

Crashing in a no-fault state means that you must first rely on your insurance company for accident compensation. Seeking recovery from your insurer may limit your right to pursue pain and suffering damages, but it does offer one main advantage. Your medical expenses will be paid quite fast, meaning that you will not have to wait for financial recovery.

Are pain and suffering damages available?

In motor vehicle accidents resulting in permanent or catastrophic injuries, pain and suffering might be a possibility. If you qualify for pain and suffering, New Jersey imposes no cap on the amount of these damages you may seek. However, the state does limit how much in punitive damages (to punish the other driver) accident victims can acquire.

What about contributory negligence?

If you contributed to your motor vehicle accident, your degree of fault plays a role in your final compensation. For example, if a court says you are 20% at fault for the accident, you may only recover 80% of the available compensation. A driver that is more than 50% at fault will recover nothing.

New Jersey’s accident compensation laws are complicated! Make an effort to learn more about these laws to improve your accident claim.